Saturday, August 30, 2008

Pimp My Bike

Today was the ~Pimp My Bike~ workshop! We paid 65 euros and got bikes, locks, lights, and decorations for our bikes!


Chris painted his bike blue and silver and mounted army men on it some how. My bike started out ugly orange and jungle green so I tweaked it by painting it lime green and hot pink and adding heart shaped hot pink gems to the tires and green reflectors to the spokes. Pretty sweet!


This isn't the finished product but you get the idea. Its pretty loud but at least no one will want to steal it! There's a girl from the University of Florida here - she painted her bike blue and orange - but a true gator - she painted over all of her reflectors, hahahahaha.
This is what the little University of Amsterdam courtyard area looks like



After painting the bikes we rode them around for a little while! Scary! These bikes don't have hand breaks like what I'm used to - instead you back pedal to stop or slow down. The whole system of right of way with pedestrians, cars, other bikes, and stopping and slowing down at signals will definitely take some time to get used to.
Everyone was out and about this afternoon because the weather is absolutely gorgeous. Seventy five degrees and so sunny. We stopped at a little cafe for lunch.
Mozzarella, tomato, and pesto sandwiches and cappuccino

Chris trying to figure out where we are


Then we rode home - which was sooooo delightful because the bikes turn a 30 minute or longer walk into a lovely 10 minute ride. We stopped at Blokker and I got some stuff for the apartment - candle to make it smell good and be more homey feeling, a new comforter because the one De Key gave us is too lightweight and cheap, another bath towel, and an extension cord for my blowdryer. I really need to find an electricity converter so I can charge my camera - but I'm not sure where to look...

No comments: