Thursday, September 11, 2008

I've been in Amsterdam two weeks now and I'm starting to get the lay of the land. I don't feel as intimidated when I'm riding my bicycle and I'm learning my way around (at least a few familiar routes).

I miss my family and people from home (and even Tallahassee), but for some reason I am not nearly as homesick as I was when I was in Brazil. There might be a few reasons for this. I think that I've gotten used to the idea that this city is actually my new home for now, and I'm letting myself get settled in for the long (4.5 month) haul - whereas in Brazil we were constantly being uprooted so was never able to get very comfortable. Another factor that I think is a major difference is language. Of course the majority of people walking around here are speaking Dutch, but it's a nice safety net to be able to approach anyone in English. Finally, I'm really enjoying this lifestyle! I love living in a vibrant, bustling city. I love that the majority of transportation here occurs on bicycles - and this includes myself! Sure, you are subject to all of the elements and you arrive to class a little sweaty and your hair is curly from the humidity - but its so beautiful riding along the canals negatives are pretty much cancelled out! If I could learn to speak Dutch and find a nice job, I could definitely see myself living here permanently. (I say this before winter begins, ask me again in a couple of months!)

Monday was pretty successful. In the morning, Chris and I went to Selexya to buy textbooks for class. Slightly challenging but we got it done. Then we had sandwiches and coffee at a cafe near school and read a little bit. Then I somehow coerced him into going with me to this shopping area! At this little home decor/home items bric a brac shop I got placemats for the kitchen table, some candles and incense to make the house smell like delicious cinnamon, and some self adhesive hooks to hang necklaces, and some bins to organize my makeup/jewelry/hair stuff. Then we went to a department store and I got a nice/rain resistant coat with a hood and a cute/warm hat.
Later on that night, I went to a borrel at the bar next door to my apartment with my neighbor Marie-ange. The occasion was intended to introduce residents of this housing complex to one another and to the RAs. We met up with our friend Brett and ran into a number of friends from the building, and made some new ones. There was a borrel yesterday as well, but I had studying to do so I had to pass it up unfortunately. Everyday a new party, I guess...

Today was my one day a week that I have class - but it was a long day! Metropolitan governance in the morning, and Childhood in the Global South in the afternoon. Metro gov was extremely theoretical and abstract so I'm hoping that it will come back down to earth as the course progresses. I really enjoy the childhood class, its different from most of the courses I'm taking for my MSP.

Tomorrow I have an appointment for "intake" at the university - which involves applying for a residence permit in Holland and hopefully eventually getting my student ID. I don't have any of the required documentation or passport photoes, so we'll see how it goes! I have to be there at 10:30 and I have no idea where it is. After that I will probably grab lunch and coffee at a cafe and read some for class. (Much better to spread reading out instead of spending all day Tuesday in my apartment preparing for class on Wednesday.)

My sister was asking me what kind of food I've been eating. Well, last weekend I got some "Dutch snacks" with my friend Jan, they were pretty delish. We had some type of sausage (not sure of the name) with a sauce called sate that tastes like a peanut sauce as well as a variation of a cheese empanada called kass soufle - yummm. Generally it's cheaper to buy groceries and cook at home so that's what I try to do. There is a grocery store close to my house called Albert Heijn so I hit that place up regularly. Tonight I had balsamic tomatoes/mozzarella for dinner. I've been eating excessive amounts of bread because sandwiches are so easy and delicious to make but I want to think of some more healthy veggie/protein things that are easy to make for dinner! Suggestions are welcome!

Well, I'll try to take and post some more photos soon - I hope everyone is well!
xo

No comments: